Translate

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Designing and loving it!

    
     As I struggle along with that new painting Doug started a new store that would allow me to see what I could do with some of my old paintings and drawings.
It's fun to look at your work in new ways and it brings me closer to my original goals. People always thought it weird but I was a lot more interested in seeing my work as a Dixie cup or a Kleenex box than in having it exhibited in a gallery.
      Seeing my work on the things we use every day makes me so happy and I'm hoping it cheers other people up as well. For those of you that enjoy my letters I even created a bit of stationery with  some of the drawings. I still can't afford to buy any of it but I really enjoyed creating it.
     As an artist people are always saying "you have to do it because you love it, you can't expect to make any money".  This blows my mind that the same world that professes to value creativity and art thinks you should do it for free. In what other line of work that takes so much time, materials and effort would you be expected to go without a paycheck? I've been painting seriously for 43 years so I'd really be interested in discussing this further. What are your thoughts on the subject?

1 comment:

  1. Julia, I absolutely agree. You do the art because you love it, of course, and there is that satisfaction you feel with your creativity. People in the business world often achieve fulfillment in their work a well, but maybe they are not having fun with it. So I guess they feel if you are having fun, that should be your reward, notwithstanding the expenses you accrue. I always feel blessed to receive a letter from you, decorated with your lovely drawings (I even save the envelopes!). Your Zazzle offerings look like they would make great gifts. Much luck to you! -- Marilyn

    ReplyDelete