Translate

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

A bit of gardening

The weather was beautiful here yesterday so I dug up and shared some lilies and Iris with a neighbor before putting in another section of wildflower border. This year I'm not taking any chances and mixed 2 types of store bought seed with the seed I'd gathered from my plants last season. It's got to come up full and pretty this year or I'm out of ideas and need a new plan.

I lost one of the strawberry plants I moved back in the cold weather but the rest of them seem to be doing well and I can report better than expected results with the climbing roses I put into the big planter box by the fence.

All in all I can say that the season is off to a good start. The radishes are up but not quite an inch tall. I munch on them while thinning the tiny shoots.

There are baby birds in at least one of the houses on the arbor out front and we enjoy the activity and noise of their little families so much that we barely notice the sounds of the traffic on our street. There are of course a lot of people that drive by to look and wave, it isn't often that you see a house in the city with a bird resort. After all they've got 8 houses, 4 feeders and 2 birdbaths here and many of the houses were built by my husband before I painted them with lots of bright and interesting designs...I guess we are quite a sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment