Translate

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

A walk in the garden

There's a lot to do around here this season and  I want to get this hosta moved before it leafs out too much more. I'm planing to divide it and start a border under the big trees in the front yard. The weather is good for it all I need is a little energy, a shovel and a post hole digger.

It depends on your health or level of mobility if this is something you can do or not. We've found that if you've got problems with your legs but still have some upper body strength, you can use a post hole digger to make the new holes for the plants.


The purple tulips I wrote about earlier were out behind the woodpile. I'd apparently dumped some old planters or soil back there at one time. It was nice to see them again. Now that I know where they are I'm thinking about moving the bulbs to one of my flower beds next spring.


 That lilac bush is looking good this year, don't you think so? It started out as a sorry looking little twig on clearance from Wal-mart a few years ago and has out survived everything else we've tried here since then. Proof positive that you don't need to spend a lot on plants to have good results.


I transplanted 2 black raspberries at the end of the season last year, one made it and the other isn't looking too good. Not everything survives but there's always something else you can plant so don't let it discourage you.


 This photo gives you a little better idea of how the plants and trees are arranged here. Yes, we've got some big ones. That's why shade and hours of sunlight are such an issue here.


As you can see around the base of the lilac bush there are a few small ones I should be able to move to the border I'm creating along the side of the front yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment