Translate

Sunday, June 23, 2013

A new angle on Iris in watercolor


Most of the time people seem to paint Iris straight on and fully open so I'm trying to catch some before they reach that point and as they come out in different directions.


I started working this one from the outside in and wasn't real thrilled with the results. The next time I started roughing in the basic shape and decided I was on the wrong track again.


What I'm hoping to do next is let the painting evolve form the center out and see how that goes.


After all the years I've been painting I still struggle with making the petals look like they're curling in the directions that I want them to. Most people can't understand how you can keep painting the same flowers year after year but each season is another crusade on a quest to capture just the right moment where it blooms and looks just right to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment