Translate

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Plants run wild


 These are under the kitchen window. I'm considering moving them and building a planter box here like the one we built for the hosta on the side of the house. I may put these back in it. I love the color and they're free. Boxing them up will keep them from running a;; over the yard.


What you're seeing here on the back of the new trellis are sunflowers, weeds and grass around the climbing roses we transplanted. I'll pull the weeds and grass but leave the sunflowers. I planted an entire POUND of the seeds all over the place here and can't wait to see how many bloom.


The strawberries are having to get pretty tall to compete with the other plants but everything's looking pretty happy and healthy in spite of the mess.


As you can see this box is REALLY full and surprisingly the peas in this box are three times bigger than the ones in the cedar box. It's less about what the boxes are made of than it is about the soils that I'm using. this box has a mix of regular garden soil plus one bag of cactus and citrus soil. That seems to make all of the difference.


Among the tangled mess behind the studio are a surprisingly hearty bunch of black raspberry bushes. I had cut these nearly to the ground last year hoping to get them moved this spring. I never got to it and now they're so full of blossoms that I figure I'll wait, make a lot more jam and try moving them next spring.


The mess in front of the fence is a tangle of several different varieties and types of roses and what you're seeing across the top of it are grapevines. I've been trying for YEARS to deal with this and loose the battle every season but I've got to say the roses look great while they're blooming and I  don't mind it all so much.

Meanwhile in the back are at least 3 different species of volunteer trees that I'm trying to find new homes for.

I give away a LOT of plants every year but they just keep coming.

 It's kind of funny for a city kid who grew up with NO front yard and a front step that was right next to the sidewalk, don't you think so?

No comments:

Post a Comment