Translate

Sunday, August 4, 2013

87 dead flowers

Most of the lilies I have here are the common, orange type that were on the place when I got here. I've been dividing them and moving them around as place holders in my flower beds to fill in until I could get nicer plants but suddenly this afternoon as I was walking through the garden dead heading them it mattered to me that so many had died before I'd taken the time to draw or paint them. After all they've been the faithful bits of color around here on years that I didn't have much else.

I sat down my bucket and counted...87 went before I'd had more than a photograph to remember them by.

You can be sure that the next time I head out to work on the flowers I'll take a vase and bring a few of them to the worktable to draw or paint. After all, summer is a short season and many won't survive it.

No comments:

Post a Comment