I think this project is off to a pretty good start and I should be able to finish it tomorrow.
I started by putting bits of masking tape over the screws in case I decide to remove this rack at a later time.
It keeps paint from getting into the screw heads.
I'm roughing in where I want the cones and branches to go with a liner brush
double loaded in two shades of brown
I've started working in the pine needles in several shades of green, brown and grey
As long as I was doing them around the coffee mug rack I thought it might be fun to add them around the butterfly hooks on the wall too. When I've finished the pines I'll paint the butterfly up to look like a real one either flying around or sitting on a branch.
I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out. Ignore that stripped screw, we'll be removing it and dealing with the hole as soon as possible.