Translate

Thursday, June 2, 2016

Iris,heirloom mini pea plants and a day in the garden



I'm glad you could join me to see the iris blooming again, these have been here for over a decade and were a trade for a painted chair when I first moved to the neighborhood.

At the time I didn't have room in the house for the chair and there was almost nothing for flowers in the yard so I was glad to do it. I've had a lot of years of pleasure out of them and they don't need to be dusted like the extra furniture would have so I'm happy.



It's only the second year for the columbine but they're another addition that I was really pleased with.



As a gardener I find all of the shade here quite a challenge but I can't help but I can't help being amazed at the size of these trees...especially when you realize that we're only 6 blocks from downtown.



I'm very pleased with my choice of peas this year. it's great that you can grow so much in such a small place and never need a trellis for them. I'll be growing this variety again next year. One name for them is Tom Thumb and if you read back a few posts you'll find out more about them.

Here are follow up photos from June 8th:







These creamy yellow Iris are a welcome sight each year and were part of the trade for that old chair.



The radishes are getting to be a pretty good size so I can't resist munching on a few of those each time I go by.


Here are more of those peas and as you can see, they're already flowering and ready to produce. That didn't take long, did it?



As always, this remains my favorite place for coffee. I had to pick a few strawberries to snack on this morning. I got two and the critters had eaten two. Strawberries this year have been a lost cause.


 As you can see I had spread those Iris around quite a bit until I can get some other perennials.



I'm happy to say that my husband just got home from the garden center and I can't wait to see what he brought.

I'm headed outside to play and hope you get a chance to as well, it's a great way to spend the summer and good eating too.

No comments:

Post a Comment