Translate

Monday, October 23, 2017

Winter Lettuce


I've wrapped things up in the garden outside and just have a bit of celery, lettuce and strawberries in the house for the winter.

I'd have loved to leave the strawberries outside but they are the wrong zone for my part of the country and I'd have lost them.



It's fun to just reach across the table when I want a finishing touch for a meal. The baby celery leaves make a nice garnish and the tiny stalks are just the right size to cut up in ham salad, egg salad or soups.



In this little plastic cup is a small amount of water and the base of a head of lettuce we'd had from the grocery store. The dark green leaves on the top are the beginnings of a new head of lettuce from scraps that most people throw away. Also recycled and re-used is the plastic jello cup that I'm growing it in.


I'm also growing some lettuce from seed. Instead of waiting for it to mature I clip it and use it for sprouts. Kind of my little idea for growing micro greens indoors.

I still don't have any grow lights so the plants aren't doing quite as well as they could be but it cheers me up with snow forecast in my part of the country by the end of the week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment