Translate

Sunday, November 22, 2015

A Million Sunflowers


I've been painting sunflowers for a number of years now but there's always something new. How can anything that seems so bright and simple be so amazingly complex?

Nothing I ever learned in art or science ever prepared me to be able to capture something that's structured and alive in so many ways.

I grew a lot of them outside my window this year and enjoyed watching the birds land on them and pull out the seeds, the squirrels and chipmunks diving at them and knocking a few down to tear at the flowers and seeds while the bees
simply landed there and enjoyed the flowers They were full of life and covered with life. How do you capture the essence of that in a single image?


Today I'm not even thinking about that, I'm just going back to basics with an inexpensive set of children's watercolors and a couple of photos from the summer.

I'm not expecting much in the results department, just trying to relax and see what comes of it.

The more I look at them, grow them, draw and paint them. The less I really know but it's an interesting journey few will really understand or have the patience for...and I'm OK with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment