Translate

Sunday, October 13, 2019

Indoor Garden Experiments

One day I was so bored that I looked at the strawberries I was eating and wondered if they'd grow from seed so I grabbed a toothpick and took a few seeds off of it to dry.

I put them in my aero grow hydroponics planter and here are the results so far.






I also planted a seed from an orange or tangerine to see how that would do.

A third pod has both types of seed to see which would grow faster.

By October 20th 2 of my 3 experiments failed. The only one going strong is that first strawberry plant that I started.







Halloween 2019


I'm pleased with how well this strawberry plant is growing but took the machine apart, cleaned it and started out with clean water because the 2 failed experiments that shared the planter for a while left a green slime a couple of inches across floating on the water and some tiny bugs on the strawberry. I cleaned and rinsed of the strawberry every day for 1/2 the week to completely eliminate the problem and noticed the plant stand a little taller and seem healthier now so I've apparently solved that problem.

November 17th, 2019

Now I'm wondering if I should plant other seeds in the other two wells in the planter to keep the strawberry from being overfed.


I decided that the bug and fungus problem wasn't going away because the strawberry was still in the gro sponge that it had been  in with the 2 failed seed trials so I slit the sponge down the side and removed the strawberry plant.


This time I was taking no chances. we completely emptied, cleaned and refilled the water tank and I root pruned the strawberry plant to give it a fresh start and make it easier to put into a new gro sponge.



So far,so good I thought until the next day when it looked quite transplant shocked and I ended up removing some leaves as well.

I also filled the 2 other places in the planter with miniature tomato plant seeds so that the food will be better distributed. 

This should keep the strawberry plant from being overfed. Wish me luck and check in again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment