Translate

Monday, October 7, 2019

The Cherry Tomatoes Come in from the Cold


I ended up with one nice plant with seed saved from last year and as it gets too cold outside I brought them in to finish ripening in a vase of hydroponic growing water.


There was very little waste as I trimmed things down to the most promising parts of the plants.


Outside in the garden this plant was over three feet high and 6 feet long/wide.



Here's the way it looks now.


Detail Photos


The change seems to be doing them good. There were 4 more ripe tomatoes this morning.


First thing Wednesday I pruned some of the leaves away so that I wasn't wasting resources feeding parts of the plant that we can't eat.




Everyone has been enjoying being able to pick and eat tomatoes without having to leave the house to do it. The most important thing at this point is to remember to change the water often.







This is where things were at on October 20, 2019



This photo was shot on October 24th, after that I just ate them as they got ripe and stopped bothering to photograph them. 


 Considering this was all grown from seed saved from last year's plants and was more or less free, I'm happy even though so few seeds germinated.

Next year I'll plant a variety I really like and try several different methods of seed saving to see whick works best.

No comments:

Post a Comment