Translate

Saturday, February 8, 2020

Junk Mail Art School


This chicken had some flowers on it that I liked the colors and shape of so I thought I'd build a design with those.


What looks like an egg here was actually a bunny shape that I trimmed down so that I could focus on the pink flower that odd blue leaf and some of the other leaves and branches,


These images too were chosen for the leaves and flowers on them.

No matter how environmentally responsible we try to be sooner or later some unwanted catalogs find their way to our doors. There are lots of ways to recycle them. But Before I do that I look through them for images that inspire the sorts of things I want to be drawing now.
For me lately that is stylized flowers and leaves.

I've seen some tutorals on you tube but for me this is a more hands on method.



After I mounted the image, I began drawing some of the flowers and trying to arrange them in a pleasing pattern.


As I arranged them I needed something to pull them together so I added these leafy branches or vines and really enjoyed the sense of movement it gave the drawing. Having gone that far I couldn't resist adding some color too as I'm hoping to design fabric in the future.




I find pictures with some of the images that I want to work with and then cut them out and mount them to watercolor note cards. If you're just drawing any paper will do but as I often add markers of paints I stick with a more absorbent paper.



As I drew some of the elements from that blue egg I thought I'd save some time and move on to paints to speed things up.






I'm pleased with the way things are moving along so far and can't wait to see what happens next.


Just a quick doodle for the corner of the envelope.

Inside the card reads
 "There's a Lot of it Going Around.
 Beware! Don't get Bitten by the Doodle Bug"

No comments:

Post a Comment