Translate

Monday, May 6, 2013

Building Planter Boxes


We've built a lot of planter boxes over the years and the easiest and fastest yet was this kit from Suncast. it's cedar and should hold up well even in our colder climate.


This planter was made of recycled plastic and is quite a few years old. As you can see the sides are beginning to bow out from the weight of the soil and only one strawberry plant survives there.


The new cedar box is a bit larger but will look fine with the rest of the boxes in the garden someday when I'm able  to get nice paths put in between them. Eventually I'll be putting siding around them to match the house but this will do for now.


That trellis will be added to the side of the planter facing the yard and I'll be putting climbing roses at the base of it. The roses will encourage the bees to come and visit the berries and it will make it nice to look at from the patio.


Getting around with the walker means it's going to take me a bit longer to fill the box and get the plants in but the weather is beautiful today and I'll get back to it as soon as I finish my coffee. Most of the time I just put the bucket on the seat of my walker and drag the shovel behind me. If you've got a better method for getting the job done I'd love to hear about it so be sure to comment when you finish reading this.

No comments:

Post a Comment