Translate

Saturday, April 5, 2014

of butterflies and brushstrokes


You may remember some paintings I'd done recently with black backgrounds. Some of the single butterflies worked out for designs but I had no real use for the finished painting. Always one to recycle things or upcyle them into something more useful. I decided to add other colors to the background area and use each of those places to practice a few basic brushstrokes on.


The thing that makes this project fun is it's similarity to that chair design I had in a magazine years ago. Whenever I feel stuck creatively and unsure of which direction to go next I fall back on some of my old favorites and mix them with things I've been doing since. Often the effect is something new and exciting. Even when it's not successful it's refreshing and pleasant work that helps me get ready for the next idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment