Translate

Thursday, January 21, 2021

The First Questions

When I was a little girl the first questions anyone ever asked me seemed to be like the same thing, they were:

What do you want to be when you grow up?

and

Who do you want to do when you grow up?

My answer was that I wanted to be a dixie cup which at that time was a brand name paper product  that most people had in their homes that was decorated with artwork. In my little brain I wanted to brighten things up and make people happy whether I was the bathroom cup to make them feel better when they were sick or the party cup to help them celebrate all of their special occasions.

For me it was a happy dream that nearly came true. I was told that the company that makes those doesn't accept outside artists but I was able to find another company that put my designs on hundreds of different products in my 50's. I've been at it for years now and love it as much as I ever have. 

These days I go back and forth between serious painting, "playing" with design ideas and drawing exercises. Anything that looks like it would work goes to merchandise and a lot of the rest of it  simply decorated my outgoing mail. The beautiful thing about it is that no matter how things work out they make some one happy and that is, all in all, what I've wanted all along. 

"Playing" with lettering ideas. This gave me a chance to try out a kit of "how to" cards and send a nice letter out at the same time.




This is just a little drawing exercise I made from an old  card. I put it on a new card and set it up for a friend and myself to practice drawing on.


"Playing" with photos and drawing on outgoing mail.



No comments:

Post a Comment