Translate

Thursday, December 30, 2021

Moving On, Into the Blue

 Now that I've finished my designs for 2021 it's time to get back to some art and assess what types of materials I have on hand to work with so I decided on my favorite color which is blue.

I started with part of a collage in blue and white for inspiration and a blue Marker. I never have been comfortable with markers so I thought this would be a good time to start with a few different strokes and ways of holding/handling it. I was NOT happy with the results so I moved on to using gouache. (I had plenty of that).


I liked the way that some of the marker showed through the gouache.

The problem was that the more types of water based media that I used, the more of the collage lifted and pulled off.

Next, I decided to use a heavy bodied acrylic paint and my new palate knives so the moisture wouldn't be a problem but I discovered in the last year I'd used all of the amazing shades of blues I had and am down to a couple shades of liquid blues. 

Well, by then I figured I'd had enough of it so I grabbed the black and white with my hands, a spork and a palate knife, scraped stroked and beat it to see where it would take me.

I was amazed to see the clear image of a chair appear out of nowhere. at this point I split the image in half and turned it into a rather nice set of notecards just in time to catch up with my mail.

All in all I considered it a day well spent. I learned a few things about the art materials I have on hand and those I need to order in and on top of that I got some interesting new notecards to surprise people with.

I hope you all find ways to make your days useful and fun as well, I used the non object card as a get well card with the caption "I'll bet this looks like you feel right now, get well soon" so you see even your messiest work can come in handy. Never be afraid to dive in and use those art supplies. There's no way they can go to waste. Everything is good for something. Don't give up or sell yourself short.

Paint Yourself Happy,

Julia





No comments:

Post a Comment