Translate

Sunday, December 12, 2021

Wrapping Things up for the Year

I felt that this is one of the best new dala horse ornaments that I carved, designed and painted  this year so it will be a Merry Christmas present for the person who has bought the most Dala Horse Ornaments from me and collected them for nearly a decade now. Without her encouragement I may have given up on them a long time ago. Thanks!

Being an Artist/crafter/designer etc. all of these years means that I almost never have money to do Christmas present shopping with so it gets a bit like Santa's workshop here in the rush to make sure that I can make something for everyone and avoiding the temptation to just give everyone the stuff that didn't sell.

I can't believe that the season sneaks up on me every year some recent years have been so awful that I almost gave the whole thing up and decided to hibernate until spring.

Getting older I also find myself wondering what I'm really doing with my life besides just taking up space.

I hear in the media that rather than trying to explain all of the things that we are and do that we're just supposed to call ourselves "creatives'' and hire out as consultants or just appear on TV shows or other media. 

This whole thing really made me laugh because I took a bunch of aptitude tests once and the best conclusion they could come up with is that I could either flip burgers or host a television show and I've got to say that I didn't feel particularly inclined to do either so that brings me back to what sorts of things I've been doing lately.

Going back to projects in my sketchbooks that I had given up on.

Babysitting a caterpillar as it gets ready to hibernate for the winter. Meet my room mate 'lil K. I know, It's a looong story and a bit of an education.


As long as I was doing all of this evaluating I thought I'd start at the beginning and see where things go from there. So far all that brings to mind is that I sure miss that space themed Toybox, LOL

Those of you that have followed this blog know that I design greeting cards. What you don't know is that it doesn't pay much and often I can't afford to buy them myself.

This handmade card is the result of that and the fact that I've been sorting through things trying to get my house organized.

This allowed me to use up some old photo bits and make a Christmas card for someone special.

There is a lot to sort through and there are lots of piles of piles yet to go. Who knows what it will lead to. If you don't hear from me by spring, send out a search party.

Happy Holidays,

Julia


 

No comments:

Post a Comment