Translate

Tuesday, January 28, 2020

My Sketchbook, Ideas and Work in Progress


I grow daffodils in my garden so this started with photos of those and I used drawings to tie them together but this is nothing more than an idea at this point. Perhaps in doing a drawing or painting based on this general composition. I'm not quite sure where it's headed yet but I enjoyed working on it.


As always I start with photos of the flowers that I have grown and then add bits of other things to it before it gets to the drawing stage.


These may never go anywhere but I do refer to them from from time to time to get the images accurate. I just used the daisy page this week while working on a small painting of daisies.


Here there are photos of things I've painted, magazine clippings and some drawings finding their way into an idea. A long way from that happening but it's a start.



The yellow horses are photos of wooden horses that I had designed, carved and painted. On this page they're used for inspiration for designs that I plan to use to make rubber stamps from.


This page is Christmas Horses in progress. They're being painted in Gouache and outlined with black markers in various sizes. 


Here you see the design before and after the marker outlines have been added.



Here's how that Page looked when I finished with it.


Here are close ups of a couple of the other horses.




This page is all stages at once in a couple of different projects. As you can see my sketchbook is nothing to save for the ages and most of the "good stuff" has already been pulled out to use or share.

On Feb.3,2020 I pulled this page out. Saved the patchwork horses and threw the rest of it away. Including that photo of the red horse in the center. It was just not one of my best designs and with hundreds of good designs, we'll never miss it.

For me, this is just the way things should be and less for people to deal with when I'm gone.

Your sketchbook needs to suit you purposes, this is just what I'm doing with mine.

On February 17, 2020 I removed all of the dala horse pages and put them in the dala horse box to help keep me more organized.

As you follow this blog you'll hear more if anything comes of these ideas. It also reminds me to keep working on them so thanks for joining me on my journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment