Translate

Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Getting Back out in the Garden





It's still pretty chilly but I get out most days to start general pick up and clean up.


Welcome to another season of ups's, down's and fun in my little corner of the world.


It's too early for a lot of the plants that I'll be wanting to add to the garden this year.



Believe it or not this bleak looking stretch of soil is actually my best flower bed. Those twigs are my rose bushes and there are lots of spirea, lilies, and perennial sunflowers just waiting to pop up again. You'll be surprised at all of the changes if you follow it this season.


Here's a long shot of my Tea Garden which is the end of the driveway that I use for a container garden and patio. It's where most of the entertaining happens here all Summer.


Here are a few of the planters before I cleaned them out and got them ready to plant again.



They look a lot better when they've been cleaned out, don't they?


I'm planting last years strawberries in the long planter and will be making a cover to protect them. The darn "critters" got all but 7 of them and I sure don't want that to happen again.


I spent a few days transplanting strawberries. It's probably early for that but they're already growing outside in these conditions so I didn't think it would hurt. 

Many plants had been damaged and dragged around by animals so I needed to round them up and put them somewhere safe. 

It looks like most of the plants will recover under these conditions and it may also be good that I no longer know which variety is which. I had intended to cross breed them anyway so it may work out for the best. 


This is the planter box that I'm putting the strawberries in. My Husband and I built it 15 years ago out of composite lumber so I can tell you from experience that it lasts well. We've even moved it several times since then and it only had one screw that needed to be tightened on one corner.


I can't wait for these daffodils to bloom! We also built the short planter box behind the daffodils from regular lumber and covered it with siding to match the house. It's pretty but I prefer the composite box to this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment