Translate

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Color mixing


The nice thing about working on this design for Valentine's Day is that red is a color that I seldom use. I had 3 different ones in my paintbox and this whole painting has been an opportunity to explore them and all of the other shades that I've been able to mix between them.


Any time that you step away from the things that you normally paint is an opportunity for growth. This time it's just mainly about trying different brushes an brushstrokes to create common and easy shapes.


As you can see by the detail shots it's likely to work out fine on products and beyond that, it's really pleasant to work on. You don't have to think about it too much so you can just relax and enjoy the painting process.

At this point I'm beginning to make peace with reds, enjoy them and may consider adding them to my pallet for other things besides florals which was the only time that I'd ever used them before...except of course when I'd get angry and fling it over other work.


Well, as you can see there's still a lot of work to be done on this so I'll get back to it. Start seeing red, use it, enjoy it. There's a lot to love about painting with it.

1 comment:

  1. Hi I love red and bright colors, your hearts with all shades and sizes is great!

    ReplyDelete