Translate

Monday, January 24, 2022

Monday on the New painting

 With the New Year well upon us I felt the urge to do an easel painting. The canvas I have had already been started but I did take photos each step of the way today.

Here we go!

My easel is on a wide shelf in front of a window so I started out by mixing a black gesso and painting over every area where the light shone through the canvas.

After that I applied some silver and a few other colors directly to the canvas and working them with brushes and palette knives.

At this point a large bird or something began to appear across the center of the canvas. I went back and forth between fighting it and helping it along. I'm still not sure what I want.

I finally decided to stop worrying about it and started to add neurographic lines and corner rounding as I was ready to relax and call it a day.

The problem with having to work in front of the window is that it looks so different at different times of the day. I'll have to remember that the next time that I work on it.


This painting took me on quite a ride before I finished with it and who knows, It may have more to come.


I kept adding more lines in different colors and was kind of pleased with this but felt it was too dark and felt that the wide red band threw the balance off.


As I kept adding lighter colors and crossing over that red band I liked it more and more but now it seemed too orange.


I worked on it a bit more seeking balance and this is where it ended up this session. Believe it or not, the canvas went through all of these changes in just 2 days.

What stage did you like best? I'd love to hear your feedback on it because I'm still afraid I tend to overwork things.

No comments:

Post a Comment